Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mia Nonna

My Grandpa has a cardboard box of memories-- pictures of my beautiful Grandma throughout her life. It became apparent a year ago that, while he was far more susceptible to the disease, she was showing signs of Alzheimer's. Miraculously, she still remembers our names and our memories. She has been on hospice for the past 3 weeks. Grandma has stopped eating, Grandpa can't stop crying.

My family invited him to dinner tonight. We talked about memories at their old house on Robert Ave., the hobbies that he wants to start up again, the hundreds of bells she collected that we plan to give away at her funeral so that everyone can have something to remember her by. Right before he left, he said,, "I know she's still here, but I still miss her everyday and I still hug my pillow every night. I just hope she feels the same."

In a strange way, I want that.

No comments:

Post a Comment